IMPROVING THE LIVES OF ADULT CYSTIC FIBROSIS PATIENTS
Midway thru July 2017, we've fulfilled nearly 50 patient requests for assistance in 2017. This doesn't include over 175 Spiritus hospital admission bags that were delivered to adult cystic fibrosis patients, or over 150 refill bags.
Since obtaining our official charity designation in early 2015, your help has allowed the all-volunteer team at Spiritus Project to positively impact over 350 patients, family, caregivers and other interested parties. THANK YOU!
Examples of financial assistance provided to North Carolina-based adult cystic fibrosis patients to date include:
- July, 2017 - Provided food assistance for patient family. Provided temporary housing assistance for patient family during move that occurred during patient hospital stay. Paid medical bills for patient so that needed appointments could be scheduled once again. Paid cell phone bills for several patients so that doctors and pharmacy can be in touch again. Provided assistance with rent for patient who was out of work during recent hospitalization.
- June, 2017 - Provided funding for medical devices not covered by insurance for several patients. Provided financial assistance for uncovered medical expenses for several patients. Assisted with replacement of broken air conditioning. Assisted family with funeral expenses for recently deceased patient. Provided food, lodging and transportation assistance for clinic appointment. Provided food assistance for patient due to gap in family income due to illness and hospitalization. Provided insurance and utility assistance for hospitalized patient.
- May, 2017 - Provided financial assistance for major auto repair that prevented them from getting necessary medical attention. Provided financial assistance for utilities for several patients. Provided emergency rent assistance due to loss of income associated with hospitalization. Provided funds for computer repairs. Provided assistance with car payments due to extra costs associated with transplant evaluation.
- April, 2017 - Provided funding for emergency transportation to assist a patient to UNC Hospital. Provided financial assistance to a patient facing imminent disconnection of power. Provided financial assistance to a patient for phone, utilities and insurance. Paid for eye exam for patient.
- March, 2017 - Provided financial assistance with rent and utilities to cover loss of income from job due to extended hospitalization. Provided building supplies needed for completion of small residence for patient. Provided financial assistance for transportation and child care to facilitate patient hospitalization on accelerated schedule. Provided financial assistance with transportation and utilities expenses. Provided required exercise equipment for maintaining lung function to replace older, broken equipment. Provided emergency financial assistance to pay mortgage for patient awaiting lung transplant.
- January, 2017 - Provided financial assistance to assist with non-covered expenses associated with double lung transplant. Provided financial assistance to help with initial expenses for construction of small residence for patient displaced by Hurricane Matthew. Provided financial assistance with housing expenses and medical co-pays due to hospitalization. In the last week of January alone, we provided assistance with housing/relocation, physical therapy, car payments due to job loss by a parent caring for an adult child with cystic fibrosis, and a technology assistance request for vocational training for a patient.
- December, 2016 - Provided short-term living assistance for temporarily homeless patient in need of shelter and food. Provided financial assistance to help with transportation expenses. Also delivered another batch of 25 Spiritus hospital admission bags to address patient influx due to recent wildfires and onset of cold weather and flu season.
- November, 2016 - Provided temporary living assistance for patient hospitalized from impacts of NC wildfires and who could not yet return home.
- October, 2016 - Two patient requests for required medical equipment not covered by insurance were fulfilled. Provided emergency assistance for transportation to/from hospital.
- August, 2016 - Provided financial assistance with utilities for a patient whose parents had to take time off from work to care for them.
- July, 2016 - A patient request for assistance with transportation was provided.
- June, 2016 - A patient request for assistance with utilities was provided for one and rental assistance was provided for another.
- May, 2016 - A patient request for assistance with transportation was provided.
- March, 2016 - A patient request for assistance with utilities was provided.
- January, 2016 - A patient request for transportation assistance and two separate requests for assistance with utility bills were provided.
- December, 2015 - male patient in western NC to prevent utility disconnect and mortgage default due to unforeseen hospitalization and the resulting impact on family finances.
- November, 2015 - female patient in eastern NC to provide deposit and first month’s rent on low income apartment. Patient had been living in car.
- October, 2015 - male patient in central NC to bridge period between medical benefits to provide several months of tube feed formula to gain weight while awaiting lung transplant.
- May, 2015 - female patient in western NC to assist with living expenses during double lung transplant. Transplant was successful and patient condition continues to improve.
Go here to complete a form to request assistance.